Friday, November 06, 2009

This one goes out to all my high school friends

Hey guys, remember back in the 80's when you used to listen to the radio, and hear old fogeys play music from the 50's, and reminisce about the good old days, and you would laugh about how out of touch they were? Yeah, good times.

This morning as I drove to work, I heard the guys on the local morning show rocking out to Van Halen, Aerosmith, and music from Rocky and Top Gun. Then in between each song they would talk about the 80's and laugh amongst themselves.

So my first thought was: "Ha ha, listen to those guys talk longingly about the music of days gone by. They sound OLD." My second thought was: "Man, this music is awesome. I sure do miss it."

This is a couple of months too early, but welcome to the two thousand tensies! If you were born in the 1970's like me, this will be the fifth decade you have witnessed. Enjoying yourself?

I used to own a whole bunch of Bloom County books, and I remember a plot sequence where Binkley had a dream about his future as a middle aged man. The year in his dream was... somewhere around 1996. Face it folks, we're now living in The World of Tomorrow!!!

I'm tagging this in a note to all my Facebook friends who went to high school with me. If you have been on my list but we haven't talked in a while, feel free to leave a comment on this post or the FB link and let the old gang know how you're doing.

6 comments:

  1. In 6 years the 80s will be as far away to us as the 50s were to Marty McFly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And yet again I say, where's my freakin' hoverboard???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:19 PM

    Congratulations Kazim, you've made an 18-year-old afraid to grow up. The day people reminisce about Soulja Boy on the radio, I will weep silently. My only consolation will be that I never listened to that crap the first time around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 5th decade? wow man you sure know how to make a 70's child feel the years there bro.

    Bloom County was the shit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nostalgia is a frakin' weird thing... I keep thinking...if/when I ever have kids... the music/movies etc that they will regard as 'classics but not THAT old' -- are things that HAVEN"T even been created yet!

    -- As for the 5th decade comment...dang that does make one feel old.. though I have noticed that I now tend to fall somewhere between the median to oldest in most of my regular social/work circles now... bleh

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was married to a woman ten years younger than I, it was so weird for her not to automatically get my 1980s movie and music references the way all my High School buds did. She had been born in 1980 and spent most of the decade as a little kid...it was weird, the cultural disconnect. We did better relating to events and movies from the 1990s...my late college and grad school years and her high school years.

    I was an atheist even back in High School in the mid-to-late 80s, though I had never really been very religious to begin with, having had a science teacher for a dad. When Bush Sr. started openly embracing the Religious Right in 1992, I stopped being a moderate Republican and declared myself a Democrat; With the fall of the USSR, I started questioning all of our national myths that had been hammered into me during the Cold War. Have enjoyed the intellectual journey ever since.

    BTW, I like all the 1980s nostaglia films coming out now...like Adventureland. Cool soundtracks if nothing else.

    ReplyDelete