Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Is there anything the internet doesn't have??

When Keryn and I were kids, my parents used to take us to Colorado every year for summer camp. When we were picked up, we'd usually go to Denver, where there was a yearly Gilbert and Sullivan festival, and also a melodrama. Many fond memories.

After the melodrama performers did their play, they would often use the second half of the show to perform short skits, songs, and audience participation activities. One year, they performed a song where each singer played a part in a brass band. That was the only time I have ever heard that song before.

This morning my sister was humming the song, and I immediately recognized it. I joked "I bet I'm the only person in the world who would recognize what you're singing." She replied "Well, maybe it's on YouTube."

Joking aside: it is.



Turns out that the melodrama performers were ripping off (excuse me, I believe the polite term is "homage") a very excellent number from the Dick Van Dyke show. And now I get to hear it again.

For good measure, it also turns out that evil muppet genius Jim Henson also performed a version of this song.



Oh wait, wait, last minute addition. This is our Colorado melodrama troupe. Not the same players after all these years, but definitely the same group.

3 comments:

  1. Not to mention I was hearing that song from Barney when I was 3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you guys remember the manamanam guy from the Muppet Show? This is another childhood Muppet fave!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfXKZYRf_NY

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a strange little song. I watched the first two vids, but didn't have the patience to make it through the third. I have a fever, and the only prescription is more Mary Tyler Moore.

    ReplyDelete